Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Allison's Allergies

So I finally heard back from the doctor about Allison's allergies. The doctor started the conversation with, "Well, she's definitely allergic to peanuts." Great! I knew it was coming, but this sounded pretty severe. She said that on a scale from 1-6 she's a 4! She's not sure how sensitive she will be to it, but because she's so high on the chart not to take any chances. She said to keep it out of the house, wash our hands well after coming in contact with it, and to not eat peanuts in front of her. Funny thing is, that's not all she's allergic to! Here's the breakdown:

Peanuts- 4
Eggs-1 (I guess that's why it's ok when cooked in foods, but not plain)
Dogs/Cats-1 (HA, well, I guess I'll just be vacuuming more)
Soy-2
Wheat-3

She asked if Allison has eczema and I said yes, and she said to cut these items out of her diet and that should clear up! So, I guess Allison is now on a gluten-free diet! I had a suspicion that she could be allergic to gluten after her mini-birthday party when we gave her a bite of a store-bought cake and she broke out, but I thought I was over-reacting! Apparently not! The doctor gave me a website to check out about dealing with allergies and it was helpful. I need to do a lot more research about it so I can figure out what Allison can and can't eat and then start cooking like crazy! The good thing is that it seems to be more common lately, so there are a lot of choices on what to eat and labels that scream "GLUTEN FREE!" So it looks like eating out might be a thing of the past (at least when she gets older) but that's a good thing!

Here's the funny thing, I'm not scared/worried. Chris has been trying to cut carbs from his life and this will be the start we need to get healthier ourselves! I feel like God is trying to tell yelling at me that's it's time for me to get in shape and straighten up about what I'm eating so I don't pass my unhealthy eating happens to my children! I've been wanting to start eating better and this is my wake-up call! No longer can I eat things that my child can't (how selfish is that!) so it's time for me to figure out what's good for her to eat and start cooking that! God has given me this challenge for a reason, and I'm going to jump on the opportunity to take advantage of it! I know that I'm strong enough to handle it, and even though my child might not be eating chips and muffins regularly, I'll make her her own special treats!

So that's it. If you have any advice, please feel free to share with me! Any good books/grocery stores/recipes, I would love to hear. Thanks for your support!


No comments:

Post a Comment