Thursday, June 14, 2012

VBS

This year I really wanted to be a part of VBS (Vacation Bible School) at my church, mostly to get out of the house, but also because I love working with kids and so I thought this would be perfect. They were only doing it for 3 days from 9-12, so I thought it would be a good time to put Allison in the nursery since I would be right down the hall from her just in case she needed me (she had never been in the nursery before). So we looked forward to it all last week and Sunday I kept telling her that she was going to meet new friends and play with new toys, not that she knew what was going on, but I was hoping she wouldn't be too upset when I left her then next morning.

So Monday morning she wakes up at 6:30 and I get her her breakfast and start getting us ready for VBS! Now, Allison normally will go back to sleep around 7:30-8, so I was trying to keep her awake, which was NOT an easy task, and then put her in the car. I was also trying to keep her awake in the car so that she would sleep for the workers. Well, it worked! We got to church, signed in and went to her class. We were a little early, so I got to stay with her for a little while while she tried out some new toys. By this time she had forgotten how sleepy she was, and was enjoying playing. Some of the workers came in and I told them all about her and what schedule she normally keeps and then I was off. I tried not to look back, but it was hard! Good thing was that there were no tears coming from the room, so I knew she was still happy. I went to my classroom and met with the other teachers and kids and we started our day. Our class travelled to different "stations," and we passed by Allison's room each time, so it was great to peep in and catch a glimpse of her sleeping or rocking with a worker (I could relax and know that she was fine).

Once the parents came and picked up their kids I was off to go and see how Allison's day was. I arrived and she didn't notice me at first. She was still playing with the new toys. I talked to Mrs. Elaine (her new favorite person) and she told me how perfect Allison was! She didn't stick to her schedule because she was too excited, but enjoyed everything... swinging, strolling in the buggy, playing in the bouncers, and found a new toy Leo the Lion (whom she apparently beat to death)... she likes to make noises now! They said she was the only one they didn't have any problems with and was very easy-going! Well, I was VERY excited to hear this and was excited for day 2 of VBS!

Day 2 we were also very excited and was much more at ease to leave Allison with Mrs. Elaine. Allison had a little fussy time, but nothing her pacifier couldn't fix. She did just as good day 2, and stuck to her schedule this time. They also told me that Allison was standing on the outside of an exer-saucer and walked around the entire thing! She said that Allison kept tripping over her feet, but was determined and made it all the way around! I tried this at home and stood her up next to the coffee table and Allison did the Tin-Man lean, but never moved her feet! I guess there wasn't anything too exciting for her there.

Day 3 we were a little sad because it was the last day, we got there a little early and got to play and I talked to Mrs. Elaine while waiting for another worker to get there (there has to be 2 teacher per 1 kid). It was great because she told me how smart Allison is and how she figured out how to work all of the toys, she agreed with me that Allison is going to be a walker before learning how to crawl, and told me all about the safety precautions that the church has to protect the kids. It really put me at ease, and now I'm looking forward to Sunday so she can go back to the nursery and I can enjoy church without distractions!

So we had a great week! I loved being with my kids (3-6 year olds), and met some great women. It made me realize a little more that I think kids are where my passion is and I might start looking into working in the church (definitely on Sunday's, but maybe for Mother's Day Out too). I also feel like it made me a little better of a mom because I was so excited to see Allison and snuggled and played with her more when we got home.

No comments:

Post a Comment