Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Easter Sunday

Easter was coming, and I knew it. I wanted to host it, so I invited all of our families and started planning the menu and preparing for the guests. Well, nothing could have prepared me for what was in store! Friday morning, Chris and I go to the grocery store and start buying everything. Then, we come home and I start making some of the food, like the yeast rolls and the bunny cake. Well, apparently I was tired from the store, so I had to take a nap whilst the yeast was rising, but then continued working and even made dinner for Chris and I. 
Saturday came and I finished cleaning the house, with 2 dogs and a cat, you can only do so much ahead of time. So, I vacuumed, did dishes, scrubbed everything, and did odds and ends that I never would've thought of, but my husband is a bit of a perfectionist, so he made me do them! My mom, brother, and aunt came into town around noon, and thankfully the cleaning was almost complete. We then ate some Chick-Fil-A and I started getting ready for work. I then worked 2-9:30 then came home and made a pretzel salad and prepared the brisket for cooking the next morning (thanks to help from my mom and brother for helping!).
Easter Sunday is now upon us, and I get up and get the food going. I started cinnamon rolls for breakfast and got my Orange-Glazed Sweet Carrots in one crock-pot and a Broccoli Cheese Casserole in another crock-pot. I then go get ready for church and enjoyed a magnificent worship service! I have to say here that I absolutely love my church, and I feel so blessed that Chris and I stumbled upon it! We then had to stop by Walmart on the way home and get some last minute items, but return home to put the brisket in the oven and get the rest of the food prepared. As soon as we got home I threw the brisket in and checked on the crock-pot meals. The Broccoli Casserole was looking good, a little like baby food, but smelled good and the Carrots, well we kinda forgot to plug them in.. Oops! So, now I have 3 hours to get them going, which would be fine, but I am cooking for 15 people, so I have like 5lbs of carrots to cook, but I turn them on high and hope for the best. After a couple of hours, I start cooking the rest of the food and start making room at the table for where everything is going. I was running about 30 minutes behind, but that was fine since some people were running behind. The time had come for the brisket to be done and it was ready to be sliced and served. The carrots were still crunchy, but with a little microwaving they turned out fine. The Broccoli casserole looked even more like baby food by this time, but turned out yummy. Everything was looking great and the only thing I had a problem with was a Baked Corn Casserole, which I double the recipe and didn't think about it taking longer to cook than normal, so it was about 20 minutes late, but it was well worth it! Definitely the best dish, in my mind! Things were great and I was almost too tired to eat, which meant I ate less than normal which was great. My family had to be on the road at 4, so they left and others started to dwindle down around 5. We were left with Chris' sister and her family, so we put on a movie to watch, and I was out.... Like 2 minutes into the movie, I was so exhausted! I had no idea how tired I would be! I have hosted dinners before and made lots of food, but I guess the key factor here is the baby! I was so drained that as soon as his sister left I went to bed and slept all night! I am still catching up on sleep to this day! I have always enjoyed naps, but never needed them like I do now! I hate going a day without napping and if I do, it's usually in bed by 9! 
It really did turn out to be a great day, and I loved that everyone came over and enjoyed all of the food! I have to give out a huge thanks to my Aunt Linda and SIL Angela for helping out with the dishes! I think they might still be there had they not taken care of them! Thanks so much, it was GREATLY appreciated! 
Here are some pics of the day:
My Bunny Cake (I couldn't decide what mouth I liked, so he didn't get one!)
My Brother, Mom and Me (the dress is actually bigger now than when I bought it, but still looks like I have a baby bump)

 My family and Chris (he doesn't like to smile all that much for pictures)

He does smile when I make him though!

My brother and mom again

Baby Falcon's Easter Basket! I can't wait to see what he/she will be getting next year! 
I meant to take a picture of our Easter Basket, but Chris and I kinda ruined it... we ate a lot of the candy and played with the toys! Thanks mom for the food and games! I love having a mom that knows that I never want to grow up! 

1 comment:

  1. The day was amazing and you did an outstanding job, as usual! I'm so proud of you!! I'm going to start planning now for Baby Falcon's basket for next year...hmm...I wonder if they make eggs with a Steelers logo??!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete